Sunday, March 28, 2010

America's first female to sign Pro Baseball contract

Tiffany Brooks - Cover, Women Sport Report, April 20, 2010


Tiffany Brooks of Spokane, Wash is the first American woman this century and the 2nd since 1952 to sign a professional baseball contract. She will be reporting for Spring Training with the Big Bend Cowboys in Alpine, Texas. They are in an Independent League. Yes, she will be playing baseball "with the boys."

I am honored she choose me for a two part interview to run in Woman Sport Report, the
largest online women's sports magazine devoted to women active in sports or in a sports related business. Check out the magazine, it is gorgeous, first class.

NORM


How does it feel to be the first woman to sign a contract to play American professional baseball in the 21st century?

TIFFANY

Well, as you can imagine, it's an amazing experience, and I can't thank my GM, Mr. Smith, and the rest of the Big Bend Cowboys organization enough for believing in me as a ballplayer and giving me a chance. To be the “first” to do anything is always a huge honor, and that's really exciting at a personal level, but I would be remiss if I didn't say that I'm walking in some pretty large footsteps of those women who have come before me in Pro Baseball. I've been dreaming of this and working hard for this opportunity really since I was about four years old. I stress the word “opportunity” because, keep in mind, I've not yet made the team. Just like anyone else, I have to go through Spring Training, prove myself, and win a spot on the roster.

1 comment:

  1. Great interview. You've captured a bit of history here. Enjoyed reading it.

    Tim

    ReplyDelete